We invite you to join us on Mackinac Island this winter where snow falls, holiday lights glow and quiet streets welcome you. Take in the tranquility and beauty of winter while staying in the heart of downtown Mackinac Island. Experience Mackinac unlike any other time of year when winter solitude is just what you need to refresh and get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.
• Daily continental breakfast including pastries, oatmeal, fruit and more
• Afternoon treats, water, coffee and soda in the Lobby
• Fitness facility
• Microwave, refrigerator, and Keurig coffeemakers in each room
• Gear storage for snowmobilers
Things to Explore
There are a variety of ways to explore more of Mackinac Island this winter.
• Snowshoeing (bring your own)
• Winter Bazaar
• Cross-coutry skiing (bring your own skis)
• Limited Downtown Dining
• Holiday lights
Please visit www.mackinacisland.org/mackinac-island-winter-season/ for up-to-date information on shopping and dining options that are open.
Annual Christmas Tree Lighting – December 2
– Tree Lighting takes place at 5:30 pm on Main Street with caroling and hot cocoa
Annual Winter Bazaar – December 3 – 4
– December 3 & 4 from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm – shop local goods and silent & live auction at Community Hall
How the Grinch Stole Christmas – December 3 – presented by Mackinac Arts Council, at Mission Point Theater
New Year’s Eve – December 31
– New Year’s Eve Great Turtle Drop – outside Lilac Tree Hotel
Winter travel to Mackinac Island is available via ferry through Star Line (except Christmas Day and Sundays starting January 1) from St. Ignace dock. We advise dressing warmly for all ferry trips during the winter. Please check online for more information: https://www.mackinacferry.com/about-us/winter-information/
Flights are available through Fresh Air Aviation from St. Ignace. Please check directly on their site for schedules and reservations: www.freshairaviation.net
If you are flying onto Mackinac Island, a taxi will be necessary to get downtown. Reservations can be made by calling Mackinac Island Taxi at 906-847-3323.
We understand there may be times when the ferry or airplanes are not able to travel to and from the island. Please contact the hotel team if this is the case during your stay and we will accommodate you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mackinac Island is open for visitors all year round. There are 500 year-round winter residents on Mackinac Island. Star Line Ferry continues to operate limited ferry schedules from its dock in St. Ignace during the winter months. Its Huron winter ferry has a reinforced steel hull that allows it to break through thin ice on the Straits of Mackinac. When the lake completely freezes over, snowmobile (at your own risk) and air travel is the only way to get back and forth between Mackinac Island to the mainland.
Michigan’s largest state park, Mackinac Island is full of winter exploration…hiking, cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, stargazing, and exploring…you may even see the Northern Lights (bring your telescope). If you love winter travel and chilly temperatures, a trip to Mackinac Island will be a great adventure.
Select shop owners, bars and restaurants open their doors on event weekends like the holiday bazaar, Christmas tree lighting, and New Year’s Eve. At other times, Mustang Lounge, Michigan’s oldest tavern serves lunch and dinner seven days a week, Doud’s Market (since 1884), bank, hospital and of course the Bicycle Street Inn will be open for your enjoyment. Before you head out for the day, we hope you enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby.
Except for special weekends, there will be no shopping on the island, including fudge! If you love nature, and exploration of all the outdoor wonders of the island would excite you, then we have what you’re looking for. Don’t forget your winter cozies.
We are thrilled to be open the entire year. The season typically ends in October but the Bicycle Street Inn & Suites building will be will be open year-round. Guests can book stays through January 1 now, with future dates becoming available soon.
- November on Mackinac Island features average daily high temperatures of 42 degrees, with nighttime lows of 31 degrees
- December on Mackinac Island features average daily high temperatures of 31 degrees, with nighttime lows of 20 degrees.
- January on Mackinac Island features average daily high temperatures of 26 degrees, with nighttime lows of 12 degrees.
- February on Mackinac Island features average daily high temperatures of 27 degrees, with nighttime lows of 11 degrees.
- March on Mackinac Island features average daily high temperatures of 35 degrees, with nighttime lows of 19 degrees.